Monday 29 October 2007

Standing tall on the wings of my dreams

This evening started with us attempting to watch Match Point. We lasted all of fifteen minutes. I know I went to see that at the cinema and didn't think it was that bad but I was having one of my patented wacky cinema marathons that day and in comparison to 'Just Like Heaven' it's like Shakespeare. However, when you're sat in a room with somebody who is (rightly) laughing their ass off at lines such as 'has anyone ever told you, you have very sensual lips?' you begin to realise that maybe this movie is not 'kind of ok' it's just really fucking awful.

So instead, what with Halloween coming up and all, we watched 'It'. Which, for me, was my first time.

Oh.
My.
God.

Firstly, yeah, it's totally awesome (in a sometimes hilariously rubbish way, like with the Clash of the Titans-esque spider thing at the end... err... *spoiler alert*) . Yes, Tim Curry is a muthafucking legend, and his freak-ass clown get up did force me to cover one eye with the corner of my hoodie for protection at certain points throughout the THREE HOUR duration. Yes, I did yelp a little yelp of joy when I realised that the Mike Hanlon dude was Ray from Sister Sister. In fact, there were shit loads of people for me to play the 'Amazing Human IMDb' (aka 'the person in the room everyone hates') game. (side note: I felt a little disgusted with myself having watched The Ex last night. Mostly because I actually sat through ninety minutes of a film that has made me look poorly upon two of my all-time favourites Zach Braff and Jason Bateman, but also because I had to IMDb Amanda Peet's dad (Charles Grodin) as I knew the voice but couldn't place the actor only to discover he played the dad in Beethoven and Beethoven's Second. If there is one one piece of information I would have expected to retain from my childhood it is that but, in my defense, he has aged terribly).

BUT, much more importantly, THERE WAS A CLIP FROM THE SHOW PERFECT STRANGERS IN IT. For like, less than 30 seconds but still! Perfect Strangers!

It seems like I'm the only person that has heard of this program but I was reminded of it recently in a Guardian interview with The Flight of the Conchords:
How would you describe the HBO show to a UK audience?

Bret:
It's like Peep Show meets The Monkees. It's one of those shows that's kind of tricky to explain, like our live act. I don't think we ever described the live act without you wanting to put it in your "not to watch" list.

Jemaine:
I'd say give it one try and if you don't like it, I apologise.

Bret:
Basically it's about two New Zealanders trying to make it in New York as a band.

Jemaine:
In a lot of ways it's really traditional, as it's really about relationships, like The Odd Couple or Perfect Strangers...


Which was enough to tell me that that show was going to be required viewing but also sparked a very clear memory of how Perfect Strangers was the very first sitcom I was obsessed with. In fact, I don't think I even remember my first sexual experience with as much clarity (or indeed fondness) as I do that sitcom. In fact, I can't for the life of me even remember the virginity-stealing guy's last name but when I
really put my mind to it I remembered how to do Balki's 'Dance of Joy'.

That's how much I loved that sitcom.

I was worried that this anecdote reflects quite badly on me and my standing in the community but then I found the opening credits on youtube. Watch it and tell me you can't understand, even a little bit, why this show means more to me than more culturally recognised rites of passage.

COME ON! See the way they both look slightly to stage left as their name appears on screen? Or how many potentially hilarious high-jink set-ups they have on offer? Or the variety of sweater-vests that Bronson was sporting? (If there is one thing I love and would want to bring back into fashion it is the knitted patterned sweater-vest.) That's the mark of a true classic.

It also caused me to recall the other great love of my childhood: Out of This World (check the fact that Scott Baio is listed as a director on it! That made me happier than any of you will ever know). I loved this show so much that I actually cried a little when it got taken off air. I also remember they gave it the most ridiculous time slots in history. I had to learn how to work the VCR (me + trying to sort out technology of any kind = boredom... the fact I persevered enough to learn how to do that just goes to show how devoted I was) so I could record it when I was at SCHOOL (IT'S A KIDS SHOW!) and at like 3.30am (IT'S A KIDS SHOW!). But anyway, get your grooving shoes on and have a gander at this...



Oh hell yes.

I didn't realise that that was an actual song that had been misappropriated for many many years. I remember the slutty one singing it on Ally McBeal once and thinking "why is she doing the theme song from 'Out of This World'? And why has she changed the words so it's chatting 'bout pigs instead of 'or would you rather be on earth?"

But of course, the bestest theme song of all time is this one. Barr none.



Mostly because George (and subsequently I) used it as his answerphone message.



I really really needed to get out more as a kid didn't I? And probably now as it happens seeing as I've just spent an hour or five finding as many clips of Perfect Strangers and Out of This World as I can on youtube. Do I recognise I have a problem? Yes. And that's the first step on the road to recovery. (But as far as I'm willing to travel on that particular road for the time being.)

No comments: