Wednesday 25 January 2012

Exhausted

How come it is only ever celebrities who are treated for exhaustion?

Have you ever known anyone that's had exhaustion that requires hospitalisation in 'real' life? I know/have known people with ME or CFS but that's not what they are being treated for, which, in my limited knowledge, are chronic conditions that last years rather than weeks and cannot be fixed by a quick spell in a clinic.

I'm genuinely curious as to what 'exhaustion' (the sort of exhaustion you need to go to hospital for) is like. In the case of Demi I can understand that going through a divorce is crazy stressful and I wouldn't have the arrogance to think I can understand her or her life, BUT, for instance, I have a full time job, volunteer for three different charities, have just started a counselling course, and try to maintain some semblance of a social life but if I went to a hospital and said 'I'm exhausted' (which sometimes I do feel), in the best case scenario they would say 'ok, go and get some rest then?' and then I'd say 'good idea' and go and do that.

I sometimes think my brain is too literal. I always tend to take people at face value and believe what they are telling me is true (which is how I get taken in by my boyf telling me 'Dr Pepper' is known as 'Dr Sel' in France "and isn't it weird they didn't call it 'Dr Poire'?") so that's probably why I'm struggling to understand this as it just seems like this word 'exhaustion' in this context is a signifier that everyone else understands and I don't, or a trick that is either fooling everyone or no one.

I guess what I'm asking is, how does the world work and how can  understand that better? Anyone?

No comments: